Looking for a creative and impressive recipe to add to your healthy eating routine? This hemp seed salad is packed with tons of protein, whole grains and flavour- making it a great option to serve as a main or side, for both lunch and dinner. Plus, the super absorbent rice and lentils make this recipe perfect for big-batch cooking and it's very leftover friendly! The only problem is knowing when to stop... this dish is so delicious, it's hard to resist just one more bite!
- 1/2 cup Mettrum Originals Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup dried green lentils (large)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- half or whole lemon (depending on amount of juice)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced sweet or red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- mixed salad greens
- In small dry skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, stirring often until golden; about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, until tender; approx. 20 minutes.
- Drain lentils, and rinse in cold water.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the wild rice.
- In large bowl, whisk together: oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add lentils, wild rice, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, cranberries, hemp seeds and parsley. Toss to coat (you can make this in advance, and then keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days)
- Stir in almonds and ½ cup of crumbled feta.
- Serve on a bed of mixed salad greens and sprinkle with reserved ¼ cup feta before serving.