With all the spectacular baked donut recipes going around we had to get in on the fun. Taking inspiration from one of our favourite teas, we sought to create a hemp and chai-infused donut, the results are delicious.
Grab a donut pan and let’s have some fun!
½ cup almond milk
1 ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
¾ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. all spice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves
1 cup pastry flour
2 tbsp. Hemp Seed Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2 chai tea bags
1 flax egg (1 tbsp. flaxseed + 2.5 tbsp. water)
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil + 6 tbsp. for coating
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ cup Hemp Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease donut pan with coconut oil.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut sugar with spices and mix.
- Split spice mixture in half and set one aside.
- Add second half of spice mixture to a large bowl with flours, baking powder, salt and the contents of chai tea bags. Set aside.
- Add flax egg, coconut oil and vanilla to the milk and vinegar mixture.
- Slowly pour wet mixture over flour mixture while stirring. Be sure not to overmix.
- Fill donut wells ½ full of donut batter.
- Pro tip: If you are looking for a well-rounded donut, use a piping bag.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Add hemp seeds to left over spice mixture and stir.
- One at a time, dip donuts in melted coconut oil and roll in spicy/ hemp seed mixture.
Eat, repeat and enjoy!